Skip to main content
| Scott Number | 6LB5b |
|---|---|
| Date | September 18, 18xx |
| From City | New York |
| From State | NY |
| To City | New York |
| To State | NY |
| Addressee | John Frederick Schroeder |
| Cert Author | PF |
| Cert # | 239263 |
| Fake | |
| No. of Stamps | 1 |
| Off Cover? | No |
| Other Stamps |
Notes
3c Black on blue glazed paper
CDS SEP 18, 9 O'Clock
Robert G. Kaufmann sale 74 lot 406 realized 105 notes the letter is from a mother to a son telling him that his brother is very sick and that he should buy a cloak and overshoes. The catalog lot states they believe the markings to be genuine and that the 5c may have been charged if the sender (mother) was in a different borough (she was).
PF 239263: Genuinely Used On Cover But THE "PAID" AND "5 CTS" MARKINGS ARE COUNTERFEIT.
Cover addressed to 57 Murray Street in NYC.
Letter addressed to John Frederick Schroeder at 57 Murray Street. The 1845 edition of Doggett’s lists Rev J. F. Schroeder but at 20 John Street and residing in Flushing. He is not listed at all in the 1842-43 edition. In 1846, 1847, and 1848 he is listed as the rector at St. Ann’s Hall, 3 St. Clements’s Place.
John Frederick Schroeder (1800-1857), seventh son of Herman Henry Schroeder, (1764-1839) and Mary Schley (1774-1840), showed interest in the pulpit at the early age of 9. He studied at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton) and studied for the clergy, becoming an expert in ancient languages. He preached in his home state of Maryland and in Washington DC before moving to New York City in 1823.
From 1824-39, he served as an assistant minister of Trinity Parish, which included both St. Paul's and St. John's Chapels, and went on missions in the US, Greece, China and the Sandwich Islands. He was secretary of an almost incredible number of societies, and took especial interest in the City Mission, the Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, the asylum for the Blind, the New York City Dispensary, and in prison reform.
In NY, he met and married Miss Caroline Marie Boardman (1802-1853), daughter of U.S. Senator Elijah Boardman (1760-1823), and Mary Anna Whiting (1767-1848). They had eight children.
He resigned from Trinity Church in 1839 and in 1840 he removed his family to Flushing, Long Island, where they had purchased a beautiful and spacious home. Here he established St. Ann’s Hall, an institution for the education of young ladies. The institution was moved to NYC in 1846 and to Brooklyn in 1852 as he also served as rector for churches nearby.
CDS SEP 18, 9 O'Clock
Robert G. Kaufmann sale 74 lot 406 realized 105 notes the letter is from a mother to a son telling him that his brother is very sick and that he should buy a cloak and overshoes. The catalog lot states they believe the markings to be genuine and that the 5c may have been charged if the sender (mother) was in a different borough (she was).
PF 239263: Genuinely Used On Cover But THE "PAID" AND "5 CTS" MARKINGS ARE COUNTERFEIT.
Cover addressed to 57 Murray Street in NYC.
Letter addressed to John Frederick Schroeder at 57 Murray Street. The 1845 edition of Doggett’s lists Rev J. F. Schroeder but at 20 John Street and residing in Flushing. He is not listed at all in the 1842-43 edition. In 1846, 1847, and 1848 he is listed as the rector at St. Ann’s Hall, 3 St. Clements’s Place.
John Frederick Schroeder (1800-1857), seventh son of Herman Henry Schroeder, (1764-1839) and Mary Schley (1774-1840), showed interest in the pulpit at the early age of 9. He studied at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton) and studied for the clergy, becoming an expert in ancient languages. He preached in his home state of Maryland and in Washington DC before moving to New York City in 1823.
From 1824-39, he served as an assistant minister of Trinity Parish, which included both St. Paul's and St. John's Chapels, and went on missions in the US, Greece, China and the Sandwich Islands. He was secretary of an almost incredible number of societies, and took especial interest in the City Mission, the Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, the asylum for the Blind, the New York City Dispensary, and in prison reform.
In NY, he met and married Miss Caroline Marie Boardman (1802-1853), daughter of U.S. Senator Elijah Boardman (1760-1823), and Mary Anna Whiting (1767-1848). They had eight children.
He resigned from Trinity Church in 1839 and in 1840 he removed his family to Flushing, Long Island, where they had purchased a beautiful and spacious home. Here he established St. Ann’s Hall, an institution for the education of young ladies. The institution was moved to NYC in 1846 and to Brooklyn in 1852 as he also served as rector for churches nearby.

