Skip to main content


| Scott Number | 1 |
|---|---|
| Date | January 13, 18xx |
| From City | Lancaster |
| From State | NH |
| To City | Pittsford |
| To State | VT |
| Addressee | Granger, Hodges & Co. |
| Cert Author | PF |
| Cert # | 612151 |
| Fake | |
| Quantity 1 | 1 |
| Quantity 2 | 0 |
| Bisect | |
| Others |
Notes
PF 612151
1 1847 5c red brown
PEN CANCELLED, TIED ON COVER POSTMARKED LANCASTER N.H.
AND WE ARE OF THE OPINION THAT
IT IS A GENUINE USE, THE COVER WITH FILE FOLDS.
Scott #1, top margin copy, pen stroke cancel, lower right corner tied by file fold on JAN 13 cover from Lancaster NH to Pittsford, Vt
Not listed in Alexander
A furnace for smelting iron ore was built in Pittsford in the fall of 1791, by Israel Keith, from Easton, Mass. After changing hands a few times, it was purchased in 1826 by Simeon Granger (Jr. 1770-1834) & Sons. Chester Granger (1797-1878) became a member of the firm in 1825. He was one of the projectors and original directors in the Rutland & Burlington railroad, also the Western Vermont railroad, and for many years was a director in the Bank of Rutland. After the death of his father his portion of the furnace property was purchased from the heirs by Chester and his brother Edward Livingston Granger (1808-1846), and the business was conducted under the firm name of C. & E. L. Granger until 1846, when Edward died and George Washington Hodges (1813-1884) joined the firm and the name was again changed to Granger, Hodges & Company.
1 1847 5c red brown
PEN CANCELLED, TIED ON COVER POSTMARKED LANCASTER N.H.
AND WE ARE OF THE OPINION THAT
IT IS A GENUINE USE, THE COVER WITH FILE FOLDS.
Scott #1, top margin copy, pen stroke cancel, lower right corner tied by file fold on JAN 13 cover from Lancaster NH to Pittsford, Vt
Not listed in Alexander
A furnace for smelting iron ore was built in Pittsford in the fall of 1791, by Israel Keith, from Easton, Mass. After changing hands a few times, it was purchased in 1826 by Simeon Granger (Jr. 1770-1834) & Sons. Chester Granger (1797-1878) became a member of the firm in 1825. He was one of the projectors and original directors in the Rutland & Burlington railroad, also the Western Vermont railroad, and for many years was a director in the Bank of Rutland. After the death of his father his portion of the furnace property was purchased from the heirs by Chester and his brother Edward Livingston Granger (1808-1846), and the business was conducted under the firm name of C. & E. L. Granger until 1846, when Edward died and George Washington Hodges (1813-1884) joined the firm and the name was again changed to Granger, Hodges & Company.

