Developed & Supported by Mark Scheuer. Following in the footsteps of Scott Trepel & Robert A. Siegel Auctions, Muriel Bemis Hayes, Philip T. Wall, Carroll Alton Means, Alpheus B. Slater Margie Faiman, and others who published their work. We are grateful to all those who authorized the information and images used in this census. Feedback, additions, and corrections most welcome. Please send to: markscensus@uspcs.org
Skip to main content
| Scott Number | 09x1 |
|---|---|
| Date | May 5, 18xx |
| From City | New York |
| From State | NY |
| To City | Bridgeport |
| To State | CT |
| Addressee | Wade, Crosby & Co. |
| Cert Author | |
| Cert # | |
| Fake | |
| No. of Stamps | 1 |
| Plate Position | 22 |
| Initials | ACM |
| Others |
Notes
9X1, position 22, tied by blue pen with New York 5 cts MAY 5 on folded letter to Bridgeport, Ct.
Schuyler J. Rumsey sale 130 lot 2599 group of 5 covers
Letter addressed to Wade, Crosby & Co., a 19th-century manufacturing firm based in Bridgeport, Connecticut, specializing as saddlers and manufacturers of leather goods. The company was located at 400 Water Street, in the central hub for the city's leather and carriage industries. The owners were William Wade and Joseph F. Crosby. The business was established in 1835 on the 2nd floor of J. Mott’s carriage building company, fronting State Street. Branches were established in Savannah and Columbus, Ga. They moved to the Water Street address in 1842.
Schuyler J. Rumsey sale 130 lot 2599 group of 5 covers
Letter addressed to Wade, Crosby & Co., a 19th-century manufacturing firm based in Bridgeport, Connecticut, specializing as saddlers and manufacturers of leather goods. The company was located at 400 Water Street, in the central hub for the city's leather and carriage industries. The owners were William Wade and Joseph F. Crosby. The business was established in 1835 on the 2nd floor of J. Mott’s carriage building company, fronting State Street. Branches were established in Savannah and Columbus, Ga. They moved to the Water Street address in 1842.

