Developed & Supported by Mark Scheuer. Based on the work of Thomas J. Alexander. Dedicated to the memory of Creighton Hart and Susan McDonald. Feedback, additions, and corrections most welcome. Please send to: mscheue1@rochester.rr.com
√ Click here for the census user’s guide as a PDF
Skip to main content
| Scott Number | 2 |
|---|---|
| Date | September 21, 18xx |
| From City | Vincennes |
| From State | IN |
| To City | Philadelphia |
| To State | PA |
| Addressee | Coates & Brown |
| Cert Author | PF |
| Cert # | 2658 |
| Fake | DO |
| Quantity 1 | 0 |
| Quantity 2 | 1 |
| Bisect | |
| Others |
Notes
PF 2658 no opinion
Alexander listed as 9/21/xx
The 1851 edition of McElroys lists Coates & Brown as a dry goods dealer at 139 ½ High Street in Philadelphia. Also listed at the same address are Benjamin Coates (1808-1887) and Walter Brown. They are both listed at the same address in the 1849 and 1850 editions but the shop is listed as Coates & Co.
Google AI gives the address as 139 ½ Market Street (north side between Third and Fourth Streets) and lists the business as "Wholesale Dealers in Foreign and Domestic Dry Goods".
The main north-south dividing street in Philadelphia was named High Street. As many merchant stalls, and later buildings, were built, the name changed to Market Street among the locals starting around 1808 and was officially changed in 1858.
Alexander listed as 9/21/xx
The 1851 edition of McElroys lists Coates & Brown as a dry goods dealer at 139 ½ High Street in Philadelphia. Also listed at the same address are Benjamin Coates (1808-1887) and Walter Brown. They are both listed at the same address in the 1849 and 1850 editions but the shop is listed as Coates & Co.
Google AI gives the address as 139 ½ Market Street (north side between Third and Fourth Streets) and lists the business as "Wholesale Dealers in Foreign and Domestic Dry Goods".
The main north-south dividing street in Philadelphia was named High Street. As many merchant stalls, and later buildings, were built, the name changed to Market Street among the locals starting around 1808 and was officially changed in 1858.

