Developed & Supported by Mark Scheuer. Based on the work of Thomas J. Alexander.
Dedicated to the memory of Creighton Hart and Susan McDonald.
Feedback, additions, and corrections most welcome. Please send to: email@example.com
√ Click here for the census user’s guide as a PDF
|To City:||Beaverdam Depot|
|Qty of #1:||1.0|
|Qty of #2:|
On light blue paper. Red cancel on stamp. July ? 1850 date inside letter
EBAY Lot (xpm)
Cover dated July 8, 1850
Cover addressed to J. Garrett, Treas. & C&C, Central RR, Beaver Dam Depot, Hanover County, Va.
On February 2, 1850, the Louisa Railroad, having expanded greatly since its beginnings in Louisa and Hanover counties, was renamed as the Virginia Central Railroad
John Garret was Secretary & Treasurer of the Virginia Central Railroad (The United States Railroad Directory for 1856)
Beaverdam C&O Depot, Hanover County, Virginia. This depot is across route 739 (Beaverdam School Road) from the old feed store shown in the preceding photos. The property was placed on the Virginia Landmarks Register (April 1988) and the National Register of Historic Places (Nov. 1988, #88002060); the period of historic significance is listed as 1850-1874, a very active period for this site. The original station was built about 1840 and burned in July 1862 by Union forces during the Civil War; it was rebuilt but destroyed again by Union forces in February 1864. In May 1864, Union troops again attacked the site, destroying two locomotives, 29 loaded freight cars containing medical and other supplies for the Confederates, and a mile of track. The station now standing was built on the site of the two destroyed stations in 1866, a year after the end of the Civil War. The site is considered historically significant for the reasons given above, and the late-Victorian style of the 1866 depot is considered significant, as well. (The state's historic marker at the site is pictured below.) The railroad running through Beaverdam originally was the Virginia Central Railroad, which later became part of the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O); now the tracks are part of the Buckingham Branch Railroad, a short-line operation. The station was bought by a preservation group in 1987.
No Images Found